Re: Honeyd for win32

From: Michael A. Davis <mike_at_datanerds.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 19:26:21 -0600

Pat,

> I need help. I installed honeyd for win32 and the winpcap on a Win2000
> box. Upon clicking on Honeyd.exe to start the message: Impossible SI
> range in fingerprint "Windows NT 4 SP3" Nothing else happens. I used the
> winPcap _3_0 beta.exe loaded first then tried install of honeyd-0.5-win32.

This is perfectly normal and will appear on the UNIX version of honeyd-0.5
as well.

> I thought maybe because it is a beta version and because the Readme file
> indicates that it does not work with all versions of Windows, I then
> uninstalled the beta version and installed the WinPcap 2.3. Upon trying
> to install honeyd with this version of WinPcap the error message: The
> procedure entry point pcap_findalldevs could not be located in the dynamic
> link library wpcap.dll. And it also does not install honeyd for win32.

No. The readme states: !!! NOTE: Honeyd-win32 has ONLY been test with
WinPCAP Version 3.0 Beta. Other versions may or may not work. !!!

I.E. You should ONLY use WinPCAP Version 3.x which is currently beta.

> So..since I have received both of these message inhibiting my installing
> honeyd on a Win2k box....what do I do now? If it requires much C++
> programming... or compiling I won't make it.

All the options for the honeyd-win32 are exactly the same as its UNIX
counterpart. Contained in the zip file is a file named honeyd.html.Read that
HTML file and it should help you with the options etc you can run honeyd
with.

Thanks,
Michael A. Davis
Software Engineer