Re: No more unused IP-how?

From: <Giovanni.Bodini_at_esa.int>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 10:33:23 +0100

<<sorry if this is not strictly related with honeypots>>

Hi James,
let me give you a small trick to find your network:

If your subnet mask is .224 you go 256 - 224 = 32 it means you are subnetting
your address space in subnets containing 32 ip addresses.
The first one is the network address and the last is the broadcast.

So you have:
0 - 31 first subnet, .0 network, .31 subnet (also called network zero,
but this is just a naming problem in modern routers)
32 - 63 second subnet .32 network .63 subnet
and so on.

To get your subnet just choose the range your ip falls in. E.g. .165 is between
160 and 191 so your network is 204.15.5.160 and your broadcast is 204.15.5.191

Just a s a double check remember that all the network IPs are even and all the
broadcast are odd.

In case you need let me know

Giovanni

| | James Chong |