RE: honeyd and routing

From: Roshen Chandran <roshen.chandran_at_paladion.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 10:41:59 +0530

fleshcrawler wrote:
>The honeyds:
>/usr/bin/honeyd -l /var/log/honeyd.log -p /usr/share/honeyd/nmap.prints

>-f /usr/share/honeyd/config.my -i eth0 10.0.0.0/8
>/usr/bin/honeyd -l /var/log/honeyd.log -p /usr/share/honeyd/nmap.prints

>-f /usr/share/honeyd/config.my.192 -i eth1 192.168.0.0/16

It's not very clear why you'd want to run two instances of honeyd with
different configs. You could just use one config file with multiple
entry routers to simulate multiple networks. Honeyd should take care of
the rest.

>From what we've seen, we didn't need any extra routing entries on the
Honeyd host; on the local LAN we had routes directing the traffic for
those IP ranges to the Honeyd host. So, unless I'm missing something
obvious, you could just have one instance running, and you would not
need those extra routing entries.

Thanks!
-Roshen

Roshen Chandran